Sunday, December 3, 2017

It's Science Time!


It's that time of year again, time for the Science Fair!!  

I don't know why, but once again this year the letter got sent home for the science fair and Mama did not seem nearly as excited about it as I did...None the less, Mama and Daddy and I got to work coming up with the perfect project.

This year was a little rocky...our first science project was to see if the color of the water would affect the temperature.  It was a really great idea that Daddy found, I got to use food coloring, and a thermometer, but unfortunately it never got sunny out so we couldn't set the jars outside to see if anything would happen.

We gave that project several tries and then Mama came up with the idea to see if the color of the water would affect the color of a flower.  I wasn't super excited at first because I wanted something that we could do in a night, I wasn't in the mood to wait around for days to see if a flower would change color, but we were out of time so I agreed to do it.

Once again, the project started off a little rocky.  First we could only find white carnations, and they were SLOW and barely changed color.  Next Daddy found white button mums, they were a little faster but still didn't get very colorful.  Then, Daddy came home with the best flowers yet, white daisies!!  They were perfect.

I put three flowers in each color (red, yellow, and blue) for a day, then I took two of the flowers and moved them to another jar for another day.  I was really surprised when the colors mixed together and made secondary colors!  This project turned out to be pretty fun, I got to use the stuff we are learning about in art and applied the color wheel here.

Putting together my display board was a lot of work, and a LOT of writing.  but i think it turned out pretty great.

On Thursday the judges came around and asked me about my project.  They could tell that I put a lot of hard work into it, and said that I did a great job presenting it.  In the end, first graders don't really get judged, but we all got really cool ribbons.  I was very proud of all of my hard work.

Off to bed, another fun day is waiting for us tomorrow!
Linden

1 comment:

  1. We're so proud of the hard work you put into your project!

    ReplyDelete