Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Are These Wings, or Ears?


As many of you know, my Mama loves to sew, and I love when she lets me use her sewing machine!!  Most of the time when I get to play with it I just get scrap fabric and play with the different stitches, but Mama decided that it was time for me to make a real project.

On the back of a bag of batting that she bought was a pattern for a elephant that I REALLY wanted to try.  Mama surprised me with some fun sparkly and galaxy fabric (my favorite) and I knew that was going to be perfect for this project.  Mama told me that I was going to do the entire project on my own unless I asked for her help.  She showed me how to pin the pattern onto the fabric and then I started cutting it out.  I really wanted to use her fabric scissors but she wouldn't let me because I am not left handed.

Once I got the fabric cut out Mama surprised me again and told me that she was going to show me how to  use the foot pedal on her machine.  Her machine is pretty fancy and has a start/stop button so you can sew without having to reach the pedal, but she thought I was finally big enough to give it a try.  It certainly is a little trickier, but it is SO much more fun! 

Once I got the ears put together I had to sew buttons on for the eyes.  That was pretty tricky so Mama had to help me out a little bit.

Once the two pieces of the elephant were together it was time to turn it right-side out and start stuffing.  I learned all sorts of tricks like how to clip the seams so my rounded parts would look nice, and how to get pretty corners when sewing.

Once I had the tail made I asked Mama to help me finish sewing my elephant because the last part has to be done by hand which was a little tricky, but overall I was VERY proud and couldn't wait to bring it to school to show my friends.

It was a very fun project, and I love the finished result, however, that night as I was snuggling my new stuffed animal an important question came up...Aren't these supposed to be ears?  because they kinda look like wings?  Mama agreed, the pattern had us put the ears on at a very strange spot.  Mama offered to help me fix it, but I decided that my elephant is unique and I love him just the way he is.

Have a great night!
Linden

No comments:

Post a Comment